Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Climbing up..

I had a conversation with my hairstylist-cum-friend, Gill last Friday.. I was there to cut away my waist-long and heavy tresses. And he was telling me how he gave up the chance of going London for his mother who just had a bypass surgery.

Me: "Don't you feel sad or upset about not going? I mean its a good opportunity and who knows you might make it big there. And by the time you return, you will be a MASTER.."

Gill: "Sad? Upset? I am.. But i have to take care of my mom..."

Me: "True.. Mom's health is more important.. I'm sure there will be another opportunity along the way."

Gill: "I don't think so.. I'm 30 this year and to go London to work, i have to meet their criteria.."

What can i say..? A man giving up his dreams for the well-being of his mom.. His filial peity touched me.. How can this happen to him? He might seems bad (because of his 'visible' tatoos and you know the usual 'bad boy' attitude..) but in fact he's a nice guy.. He always gave his most honest opinion about how/what will look good on you, and he never overcharge me even though he's one of the top stylist in this particular salon in Orchard. God bless him and his mom abdundantly!

Half way through, he started talking to me about climbing up the corporate ladder..

Gill: "I've got a friend who's a personal banker now and he doesn't hold any degree.. Just an O'level kid who make it big at the Banking sector."

Me: "Gill, i know.. but nowadays if you don't have a degree it will be difficult to get a job.. That's why i was planning to work and study the Banking degree at the same time.. And honestly speaking, most of the big companies prefer degree holders..!!!"

Gill: "Jaime, why don't you start selling credit card? Sell and build rapport with your superior and ask for a transfer after a year and slowly climb the corporate ladder.. By the time you climbed up, degree is no longer important.."

Me: "Hmmm... I will give it a thought about what you say but it will not be easy.. Thanks."

(Our actual conversation is much longer.. Didn't want to be so long winded..)

What should i do? All i need is this chance to go back to Banking again.. I can start from bottom and learnt from the most experience staff the Bank has to offer. If i can make it in Citibank as the Rookie of the Month, topping the sales charts, i believe i can also make it elsewhere working towards my goals!

I need guidance like how Jennat has her guidance from.. Her elder sister, a VP in OCBC certain department who has 2 MBA, 1 PHD on the way!! She's earning 'peanuts' like the NKF ex-CEO Durai.. :p

Being a mother, a daughter, a wife, a career woman and a sister.. How the hell did she do it? It's amazing how this mother of 2 can handle her life so well.. With the advice and knowldege from the wise one, no wonder Jennat is climbing the corporate ladder slow and steady! I also want....!!!

Trying to survive in this fast pace city is no easy task. The moment you're back dated, you will be out of the game. There will also be those 'evil' colleagues of yours trying their means to put your down so you won't hinder their speedy climb up..

It's an evil back stabbing world out here..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home